PurgeIE – Purge Cache, Cookies and Tracks for Internet Explorer
PurgeIE helps Internet Explorer users eliminate unwanted Internet files. This superb utility provides the tools you need to cover your surfing tracks and keep Internet-related garbage from overrunning your hard drive.
PurgeIE enables you to easily remove a variety of leftover files that Internet Explorer leaves in its wake when you browse the Internet.
Despite all of the bad press that Cookies have received, there are some good Cookies that contain stored passwords and preferences for Web sites you trust. These Cookies actually make your life easier. You just tell PurgeIE which ones to ‘protect’ and it will delete the rest.
PurgeIE is a security software that helps you to protect your PC.
PurgeIE incorporates a Cookie Viewer with search functions to assist you in deciding which Cookies to mark for ‘protection’. This allows you to quickly determine which Cookies contain your personal information.
PurgeIE now has functions to assist in Cookie Control. Using the Protect Window, one can see the applicable Security Zone and the new IE-6 ‘per-site’ Cookie settings. Maintenance functions are implemented so that the user can easily change these settings from the Protect Window.
Cache files, Cookies, Visited URLs, Typed URLs, History Folders, Strays, Recent Links, the IE UserData folder, Recycle Bin and the Windows Temp Folder are the current categories you can choose to eliminate. For users of IE-5 and IE-6, features include clearing Previous Searches and AutoComplete Forms. You can also specify time frames to retain your more recent cache files.
PurgeIE has become quite popular among the Cache and Cookie utilities as it provides the user with several options and includes a preview function to you to evaluate the effect of each of the Purge options before their execution. PurgeIE manages its cleanup functions without requiring you to restart your system.
A recent upgrade implements an option for purging IE’s Userdata folder – SuperCookies. The 15 trial days need not be contiguous.
Here are some key features of “PurgeIE”:
· Offline cache is distinguished from Online Cache so that the two types can be purged individually by simply checking the appropriate selection box.
· Offline Cache represents the files downloaded for “Offline Viewing”. This was referred to as Subscription Cache in IE-4. This document uses the term Online Cache to refer to “other than Offline” Cache.
· Different ages (minimum time since last use) can be specified for the processing of Offline and Online Cache.
· Internet Explorer’s primary INDEX.DAT files are properly updated without deleting them using Microsoft caching routines. This avoids the requirement for rebooting used by other cookie/cache utilities that simply delete the primary INDEX.DAT files.
· Choosing the option for deleting stray cache and cookie files will allow PurgeIE to remove files for which the index pointers have been lost by Internet Explorer within the INDEX.DAT files. This option also deletes URLs that no longer point to data files.
· Cookies can be protected from purging easily and conveniently in the Protect window of the PurgeIE user interface.
· PurgeIE functions as a track cleaning utility by deleting the user’s tracks that Internet Explorer deposits in various cache files, the INDEX.DAT files, the history folders, the Windows temporary files and the registry.
· A Preview capability is provided that allows the user to see what the effect of each of the selected cookie and cache purge options will be before purging and without the danger of losing desirable data.
· PurgeIE provides an option for the emergency deletion of Internet Explorer’s cache, history and cookies folders in the event that a system crash or power failure corrupts one, or more, of them. It has been reported that corrupted Internet Explorer folders can prevent execution of Internet Explorer
FACT: PurgeIE was initially released in February, 1999, and has become the utility that newer software products try to imitate. PurgeIE now has registered users in over 55 countries. PurgelE was designed for Windows 98/NT-4/2000/ME/XP/VISTA and Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x/7.x.
· 15 days trial
What’s New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Implemented column sorting for the Protect displays
Please comments and give ratings. You may also report of broken or incorrect link using comments box below. Thanks!