[email protected] Free Removal Tool description
If you are on a network or have a full-time connection to the Internet, such as a DSL or cable modem, disconnect the computer from the network and Internet. Disable or password-protect file sharing, or set the shared files to Read Only, before reconnecting the computers to the network or to the Internet.
Because this worm spreads by using shared folders on networked computers, to ensure that the worm does not reinfect the computer after it has been removed, Symantec suggests sharing with Read Only access or by using password protection.
For instructions on how to do this, refer to your Windows documentation, or the document: How to configure shared Windows folders for maximum network protection.
If you are removing an infection from a network, first make sure that all the shares are disabled or set to Read Only.
[email protected] Free Removal Tool is not designed to run on Novell NetWare servers. To remove this threat from a NetWare server, first make sure that you have the current virus definitions, and then run a full system scan with the Symantec antivirus product.
How to download and run the tool
Important: You must have administrative rights to run this tool on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.
Note for network administrators: If you are running MS Exchange 2000 Server, we recommend that you exclude the M drive from the scan by running the tool from a command line, with the Exclude switch. For more information, read the Microsoft knowledge base article: XADM: Do Not Back Up or Scan Exchange 2000 Drive M (Article 298924).
Follow these steps to download and run the tool:
· Download the fxmytbar.exe file
· Save the file to a convenient location, such as your Windows desktop.
· Close all the running programs.
· If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.
· If you are running Windows Me or XP, turn off System Restore.
· Locate the file that you just downloaded.
· Double-click the fxmytbar.exe file to start the removal tool.
· Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
· Restart the computer.
· Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
· If you are running Windows Me/XP, then reenable System Restore.
· If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, reconnect the computer to the network or to the Internet connection.
When the tool has finished running, you will see a message indicating whether [email protected] has infected the computer. The tool displays results similar to the following:
· Total number of the scanned files
· Number of deleted files
· Number of repaired files
· Number of terminated viral processes
· Number of fixed registry entries
What the tool does
· The Removal Tool does the following:
· Terminates the [email protected] processes
· Deletes the [email protected] files
· Deletes the registry values that the worm added
· Repairs the Hosts file
The following switches are designed for use by network administrators:
· /HELP, /H, /? Displays the help message.
· /NOFIXREG Disables the registry repair (We do not recommend using this switch).
· /SILENT, /S Enables the silent mode.
· /LOG=[PATH NAME] Creates a log file where [PATH NAME] is the location in which to store the tool’s output. By default, this switch creates the log file, FxMytbAR.log, in the same folder from which the removal tool was executed.
· /MAPPED Scans the mapped network drives. (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note.)
· /START Forces the tool to immediately start scanning.
· /EXCLUDE=[PATH] Excludes the specified [PATH] from scanning. (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note.)
· /NOFILESCAN Prevents the scanning of the file system.
Important: Using the /MAPPED switch does not ensure the complete removal of the virus on the remote computer, because:
The scanning of mapped drives scans only the mapped folders. This may not include all the folders on the remote computer, which can lead to missed detections.
If a viral file is detected on the mapped drive, the removal will fail if a program on the remote computer uses this file.
Therefore, you should run the tool on every computer.
The /EXCLUDE switch will only work with one path, not multiple. An alternative is the /NOFILESCAN switch followed by a manual scan with AntiVirus. This will let the tool alter the registry. Then, scan the computer with AntiVirus with current virus definitions. With these steps, you should be able to clean the file system.
The following is an example command line that can be used to exclude a single drive:
“C:Documents and Settingsuser1Desktopfxmytbar.exe” /EXCLUDE=M: /LOG=c:fxmytbar.txt
Alternatively, the command line below will skip scanning the file system, but will repair the registry modifications. Then, run a regular scan of the system with proper exclusions:
“C:Documents and Settingsuser1Desktopfxmytbar.exe” /NOFILESCAN /LOG=c:fxmytbar.txt
Note: You can give the log file any name and save it to any location.
Please comments and give ratings. You may also report of broken or incorrect link using comments box below. Thanks!